Valley Center Community Church’s (VCCC) roots go back to the year 1885. When Joseph and Hannah Sherrard founded the church it was called Sherrard’s Chapel and was located on Miller Road. Joseph Sherrard established the chapel (which can still be seen as it sits adjacent to the cemetery on Miller Road) he did so in order that there might be a place in this small rural community where God’s people could come to worship. Even with all the changes that took place in our nation’s history in the subsequent years, the ministry of VCCC and the vision of Joseph Sherrard remained constant. When the congregation outgrew the little chapel, the church began worshipping at what is now the Community Center on Lilac Road. Eventually, the church found a permanent place to worship when a former Marine Chapel building was relocated to the church’s present property on Valley Center Road in 1946. The facilities, as they look today, were the result of work done to accommodate the growth of the church during the 1970’s.
Since Joseph Sherrard founded the church, VCCC has been blessed with men who have been faithful pastors. In fact, since the late 60’s, VCCC has had just four lead pastors, Reverend Don Anderson (1967-1984), Pastor Dale Meador (1984-1997), Pastor John Sale (1998-2015) and Pastor David Wojnicki (Present). Over the years, VCCC has cultivated a reputation for exalting God and the work of Christ as well as having a high view of Scripture, ministry to one another, and a love for community. Today the ministry continues as VCCC is blessed to be led by a group of elders, five full-time pastors, supported by 19 Deacons, an office staff and over one hundred volunteers.
The Ten-Year Vision
In the next ten years, we would desire to see:
- 100% of the body in Gospel Communities.
- A permanent place of worship that accommodates existing needs and allows for future growth.
- A pre-school with enrollment of 120 children (and the possibility of expanding our preschool ministry into a full K-12 Christian School)
- A 2-3 year program/curriculum for teaching adults biblical truth and training them in its gospel application.
- 5 full-time missionaries sent by VC Community Church
- Plant another church or establish second campus
- Additional elders to appropriately shepherd the needs of the congregation
- An annual plan for strategic outreach to our community
Fulfilled as of October, 2014
- An established Biblical Counseling ministry serving the needs of the church and the community.
- A well established park and trail system that is used extensively by the church and by the community.
- A pastor dedicated to our Worship and Media Ministry.